Friday, October 29, 2010

Make your own pita bread!

When I was a child, we had some close family friends who were from Syria, and I always loved the food I ate at their home, especially the hummus! I didn't know what it was called or how it was made, but it was great. I'm thrilled hummus has come into the mainstream. I haven't quite worked out a good recipe for making it myself yet (I suspect it's a hardware issue), but I've found several sources for inexpensive commercial hummus. Unfortunately, I cannot find decent pita bread for dipping, which is a must for me. So, in the tradition of good homemakers around the world, I've learned to make my own!

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat flour)
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 1 TBSP dry yeast
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP sugar
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
Mix half of the flour and all the rest of the ingredients well, then let proof for 20 minutes or so, to make sure your yeast is active. Then knead in the rest of the flour to make a soft dough. Let rise once, then punch down and form into 12 equal sized balls.

Heat your oven to 500°F. I like to bake the pitas on my pizza stone, but a heavy baking pan will work also.

Roll out your balls of dough one at a time and bake 3 minutes, turn, then bake for an additional 3 minutes.
They will puff up like a pillow while baking

I like to start one pita, then roll out the next and let it rest for the 3 minutes the first one is baking. They seem to puff up better if they rest for a bit after rolling out.


Once cool, store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator or freezer.

5 comments:

  1. These look great! I can't wait to try them! Here's my favorite hummus recipe that me and my little girl came up with. Seriously yummy.

    1 bag chickpeas (soaked and cooked according to package directions)
    1 jar roasted red peppers (with water)
    1 jar artichoke hearts (with water)
    1-2 heads roasted garlic
    1 handful fresh basil

    Throw it all in your food processor (including the water from the peppers and the artichokes) add water until it reaches your desired consistency. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to have a pita recipe! Here is the hummus recipe I use:

    1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    2-3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

    Whir in food processor. Add olive oil until desired consistency. Can also add roasted red pepper or flavorings of your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I'm half Lebanese and this recipe is almost identical to my grandmother's
    http://video.about.com/mideastfood/Traditional-Hummus.htm

    I noticed the above recipes do not include tahini (from sesame seeds)...that is a must for authentic Hummus. Enjoy!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made homemade hummus cause I haven't been able to find tahini... I should really look around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pita bread! I have a recipe, but I don't love it, I'll have to try this one. Thanks for linking up for Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?